Working for us
What is it like to work at the Met Office?
View the video below to find out...
Benefits, lifestyle and flexible working
Our people work hard, there’s no doubt about that. Whether they’re forecasting the weather that millions of customers rely on, or working behind-the-scenes at our Exeter HQ, our people consistently deliver a world class service. Our rewards and benefits structures are clear, transparent and in line with our corporate expectations in terms of behaviours and contribution and achievement of our colleagues. We recognise and reward hard work based on three key areas:
Your pension is a valuable part of your total reward package where:
- the employer makes a significant contribution to the cost of your pension;
- your contributions come out of your salary before any tax is taken. This means your take-home pay will not be reduced by the full amount of your contribution; and
- your pension will continue to provide valuable benefits for you and your family if you are too ill to continue to work or die before you retire.
For more information, visit www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk
Full time new entrants to the Civil Service and those civil servants on modernised terms and conditions will be entitled to 25 days’ leave increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years’ service.
In addition to this you are entitled to 8 public/bank holidays plus an additional day for the Queen’s Birthday. The allowance is pro-rated for part-time staff.
With competitive maternity, paternity and parental leave we also recognise the importance of a good work-life balance and offer flexible working and a family friendly approach to work.
Training and developement
The Department offers engaging jobs in work that really matters; jobs which have a direct impact on the quality of public services. Roles can offer great job satisfaction and there are many opportunities to develop and progress both within the Department and across the wider Civil Service.
To create a more skilled and unified organisation to transform services, the Civil Service is developing 10 specialist areas of expertise.
These cross-Government functions provide professional services and support to departments and supplement the 25 recognised professions within the Civil Service and are there to support your own professional development
We are committed to investing in our staff and offer a range of work based training and qualifications, coaching and mentoring opportunities and a guaranteed five days of learning a year.
- Childcare - the Department recognises that many staff balance working lives with the demands of a family life and offers support with childcare and holiday play schemes costs by providing childcare vouchers for staff who meet the eligibility criteria.
- Interest free season ticket and bicycle loans.
- Some departments also offer onsite facilities including fitness centres and staff canteens.